Re: Oracle 32-bit and 64-bit client on Windows

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:25:55 -0500

I "assume" you have 64-bit apps running that require the 64-bit client? If not, I'd drop the 64-bit client from the workstations. Some 32-bit apps are built to check to see if they're running under WOW64 but I think the app has to be built for it. So if it's a homegrown app the devs could check out "IsWow64Process" function.

You "might" could set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86 before executing the program but I'm not positive on that.

Here's a link from MSDN on running 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384249(v=vs.85).aspx

Also I believe MS recommends running 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS - even their MS Office suite they recommend going with 32-bit. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-office-HA010369476.aspx

HTH
Chris