Re: MS Windows 2008 vs Linux (any flavor)

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 12:59:28 +0100

I know this is an old link:
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/01/31/dell-compares-rac-and-non-rac-performance-and-cost/

And Kevin isn't interested in windows in this post, but this extract indicates that you can get some information from the links:

The whitepapers take two swipes at the Sun V490 with 8 UltraSPARC IV+ processors. The first is a cluster of Dell 2950s each with 2 dual-core Xeon 5160 (Woodcrest) processors running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.* The second was a single Dell 6850 with 4 dual-core Xeon 7140 (Clovertown) processors running Windows 2003*. Oh if only they both would have been Linux. No matter though, the comparison is still very interesting.

Personal view:

Several years back, before Linux became predominant in Oracles mind I believe a lot of effort was made to make Oracle run well on Windows. While this effort may well be curtailed I would still expect Windows to be a good platform for Oracle. NB The stories that the upgrade to windows 8.1 deletes Oracle services does worry me slightly.

As stated previously by others, security is going to be a bigger problem on windows than Unix, although I'm not sufficiently expert to judge how large a difference.

Key is support-ability, if you are a Microsoft shop, then it makes sense that windows will be easier to support and security issues could be mitigated. If you already have Linux or UNIX sysadmins then stick with that.

Dave