RE: Filesystem blocksize for archive logs on AIX

From: Herald ten Dam <Herald.ten.Dam_at_superconsult.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:03:42 +0000

Hi,

a nice document for Oracle on Aix is the next one: http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP100883

It gives a short, but practical guide how to setup Oracle on Aix

Herald ten Dam
Superconsult

Van: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] namens Rich Jesse [rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com] Verzonden: donderdag 24 oktober 2013 19:02 Aan: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Onderwerp: Filesystem blocksize for archive logs on AIX

Hey all,

I'm configuring new 11.2.0.3 DBs on a new AIX 7.1 box. Instead of cloning our current setup on AIX 5.3, I'm revisiting all options for both flexibility and performance.

The docs
(http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10839/appa_aix.htm) and MOS
articles like 1507249.1 are great, but one item I can't find anywhere is a recommendation for a filesystem blocksize for the archive logs. 4K for datafiles, 512 for online redos and controlfile, but nothing for archives.

512 would seem to be the likely answer, but it's been too many years since my v7.3 DBA classes and I can't remember how the archiver does its IO
(sorry, Joe!). The docs don't seem to have that answer, either.

I'm also open to any other advice for AIX-specific setup that's not referenced in the above docs (e.g. JFS2 noatime/rbrw for $ORACLE_HOME?). If it makes a difference, we'll be using XIV for storage. Seriously looking forward to playing with that puppy... :D

TIA!
Rich