RE: MS Windows 2008 vs Linux (any flavor)

From: <oracle_at_ukcert.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:27:44 +0100

Hi All,
From security benchmark PoV, Oracle on Windows is more insecure than Oracle on *nix.
See the default ORACLE_BASE directory on 12.1 which points to '/' . This cannot be written to on *nix as Oracle does not have the OS perms. On *Windows* default install Oracle CAN write to '/' and it translates to the root of the C:\ drive..
So anything that can write to a directory in Oracle can, by default, write to the root of C:\ (e.g. Advisor)
This is insecure as our Windows colleagues will confirm. The defenses are to put Oracle on a separate drive from OS, remove the directory, and try to run Oracle as a lower priv'd Windows user. Problem is that there are other issues with Oracle on Windows from security perspective so for now, if security is important, then best keep to *nix as Oracle platform.
Oracle on *nix actually interprets *nix permissions more securely than *nix itself e.g. ignoring parent directory perms when considering file perms from UTL_FILE, and not concatenating all sources of OSDBA membership information - just taking the first source. These can be seen as non-standard, but are good examples of Oracle security being tighter on *nix than the standard *nix security model. This is partly because Oracle is engineered to work on *nix. With Windows there is the risk of a porting issue causing a security hole.
Though integrating with Windows in general is something to work towards, with AD etc.
From performance benchmark PoV I have always understood *nix to be generally better at processing large files, but will defer to the performance experts on the list for the details of that comparison. Cheers,
Paul
http://www.apress.com/9781430262114