Framework to build for target Solaris with oracle database servers - possibly using c/korn shell, Expect-Tk-Tk

From: <Nathan.Dhital_at_wellsfargo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 06:34:36 +0000

Hello ALL - Greetings

I have been assigned to build a framework Solaris server which has following requirements:

1. The framework resides on one server. 2. The framework has the ability to communicate over the network with other servers.
3. The task that the framework executes on a target server ("Action") is never fixed: it can be anything and everything. The task itself changes every time and, as a result, needs to be written as a plug-in: it has to be defined and coded without touching the framework code. Having said that, it seems quite likely to me that the plug-in would be a script in itself, which is to be passed in as an argument on the command line upon executing the framework.
4. The framework communicates with target servers based on a list of servers that are provided as an input file.
5. The framework has the ability to communicate with databases on target servers.
6. The framework keeps 1 (one) log file for each execution, no matter how many target servers are in the input.

The whole task need to be executed on a target server.

I notice couple scripting in C shell with Expect - Tcl- Tk. Expect with Tcl (tickle) seems to be a little cryptic but I have to learn it on a fly . Is there any change anybody can think if it can be done with Java and/or Java script ..

My background is oracle dba - some Unix scripting and some java language -

I know this is more of a Unix scripting /programming question not a direct dba question. Any suggestion would be appreciated. May be there is another group who can give some pointer to me. Thank you

Sincerely,

NathanT Dhital
Oracle DBA
Commbank-Internet