Re: MS Windows 2008 vs Linux (any flavor)

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:35:20 +0100

Hi.

I'm not in a position to answer your question, but I would ask another one...

Q: What primary OS is the Oracle DB currently written against? A: Oracle Linux.

Having lived through the death of Tru64 and now HP-UX (Itanium), I can safely say that running Oracle products on an OS that is not (currently) the main development platform is a mistake IMHO. But Oracle own Solaris I hear you cry. I don't care. It's still just a glorified port at this point as far as I'm concerned.

With that in mind, even if Windows out paced Oracle Linux by a bit, I would still not use it in preference.

If you are talking about non-Oracle systems, then that's a different matter. Windows 2008R2 an 2012 are pretty decent these days. Not like the bad old days. I think PowerShell is pretty cool too.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread... :)

Cheers

Tim...