Re: Oracle Licensing on VMware

From: Miroslav Potocky <miroslav.potocky_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 14:56:03 +0200

I don't think there will be any document (I searched for it too) from=20 Oracle about this since Oracle has not certified any of its products on=20 VMware. See MOS 249212.1
I talked with Oracle sales representative some time ago about this=20 matter and he told me that they don't have special document for not=20 certified VMs. Rules apply as if the VM was not there. They usually=20 leave it to the other vendor to sort it out and advice such customers.

Regards,
Miro

On 10/11/2013 02:27 PM, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> Thank you.
> I know this very fine document from VMware. It describes Oracle licensi=
ng in a VMware cluster perfectly along my intuitive understanding. But I = would much prefer it if the document was published by Oracle Corp.

> Regards Niels Jespersen

ents at all. Beyond that I have only found a paper named "Oracle Partitio= ning Policy" that more or less explains that you have to license the full=  host in case of "soft partitioning" like VMware.

>> Nothing about VMware clustering, vMotion, DRS (Dynamic Resource Schedu=
ling) and so on.
> Check this VMware (!) document:
>
> www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmw-understanding-oracle-certificati=
on-supportlicensing-environments.pdf