Re: Statistics Problem on partitioned table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 12:55:39 +0100

Okay - got it.

The simple answer is that you're missing a histogram (or the histogram that Oracle acquired id garbage.
Most efficient trick - you've run the query about which values appear how often - create a frequency histogram for the 250 most popular (or less if appropriate), include the low and high values put in one extra value with the number of rows x 2 that you want the optimizer to consider for all other values then call set_table_stats.

See my latest article for allthingsoracle - published about 24 hours ago, by coincidence.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)
http://www.apress.com/9781430239543

  • Original Message ----- From: "Mohamed Houri" <mohamed.houri_at_gmail.com> To: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> Cc: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:39 PM Subject: Re: Statistics Problem on partitioned table

Jonathan,

I am sorry I may have not been clear but there are in fact 721,699 and that is what I showed above

 *select per_ind, count(1) cnt from XXX_PER_YYY group by per_ind;*

721,699 rows …

   PER_IND CNT

  • ----------

14820567 2

14820568 2

14823592 2

14888565 2

14332136 2

13565375 2

 13617240 2

…

 13546549 92

  13546573 92

  13546630 92

  13546881 92

  13546890 92

  13546911 92

…

  13546914 92…

….

And so on until I arrived at the end (721,699)

13831389 130

13831395 130

13831404 130

13831451 130

0                            6119655   ----> this is my predicate

It is when I count how many distinct CNT I have that I found 59 rows (2, 92, 130, .......6119655) . That’s what I meant by 59 rows

Best regards