Re: Edition-Based Redefinition--has any one used?

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 23:20:59 -0700

Hi Edwin,
EBR is the lynchpin of one of the central new features in Release 12.2 of Oracle Applications, which was released last Friday. A combination of EBR in the database and built-in staged applications tier file system will permit fully online, zero-downtime patching in EBS environments. As with all broad statements, there are exceptions and nuances, but this is the real deal. :)

One of my colleagues at work wrote an interesting article on the topic; you can find it at
http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/feature/Online-patching-a-game-changer-in-Oracle-E-Business-Suite-122#.Uif9C2whdX8.twitter

So, to answer your question: Yes, people are doing exactly what you've described, and Oracle is eating its own dog food in this case. :) You need to be on 12.2 to take advantage of the feature, though, so grab your upgrade boots!

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013, edwin devadanam wrote:

> Hi All
> I have just read through
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/edition-based-redefinition-1-133045.pdf
> This looks damn interesting!
> But am thinking if at all anyone used this feature...if so any inputs on
> this?
>
> P.S==>I want to explore this option to use for oracle DB upgrades and
> Oracle Ebiz applications...i know it would be very long journey but my
> thoughts are like how best we can use this feature..:-),neverthless its a
> never ending thirst of zero downtime with less investment..:-) too many
> gotcha's...
>

> thanks,
> Edwin.K

Sent from a tablet, because leaving the couch to find a real keyboard would
unnecessarily delay this vital communication. So would proofreading, so
don't be surprised by typos.