Error after 11.2.0.3 DB creation

From: Saad Khan <saad4u_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:33:00 -0400

Hi DBAs,
I've an interesting situation here. I'm installing 11g (11.2.0.3) on AIX 6.1 machine. It'd a 10g installation before. 11g is installed in different ORACLE_HOME. We normally create database through my own scripts. And thats what we did here as well. After clean stand-alone installation, I created the database which worked fine. Recycled DB which worked fine as well. Then I ran Catalog.sql, Catproc.sql and then tried recycling again but its throwing following error while getting open after mount mode.
ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced
ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure
ORA-39700: database must be opened with UPGRADE option
Process ID: 19464406
Session ID: 101 Serial number: 9

Following is the error message in Alert file: ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure
ORA-39700: database must be opened with UPGRADE option Error 704 happened during db open, shutting down database USER (ospid: 19464406): terminating the instance due to error 704 Instance terminated by USER, pid = 19464406 ORA-1092 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE OPEN... opiodr aborting process unknown ospid (19464406) as a result of ORA-1092 Wed Sep 18 14:21:27 2013
ORA-1092 : opitsk aborting process

I tried many times, and noticed that i can restart normally immediately after creating db but as soon as i run catalog.sql, it gives the same error.

For the heck of it, I ran startup upgrade and it did got open. But as soon as recycled it again, same error.

Any idea why is it asking to upgrade when its a straight installation? And why after running data dictionary scripts?

First it was coming while 10g was there as well, but since its a stage box, I was able to remove that completely but this error isnt going anywhere.

An urgent help is very appreciated.

Thanks.

Saad