Re: Data Migration options - oracle to oracle

From: Gleb Otochkin <gleb.otochkin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:58:32 -0400

Hi Karth,
I think a replication solution like streams can help with migration and minimize downtime for clients.
I would split it to two task:
1. Migration the data from source to destination with transformation for a predefined scn.

     Depending from data and transformation can be done using select/insert over db link with "as of scn" clause or

     using datapump export with flashback scn . The data can me transformed after import/export.

     All the triggers/constrains can be disabled during import and enabled as soon as transformation completed. 2. As soon as data ready you can set up replication with data transformation on the fly using dml handlers for apply.

     Streams apply will not fire any triggers unless you want it to do it. Only users transactions will lead to triggers firing.

     As result you should have sync environment and can migrate your user almost with zero downtime.

The problem is that way requires significant effort and doesn't support all datatypes. But it is doable and as soon as you've done it for one schema it is much easier to repeat for others.

Cheers,
Gleb