Re: RMAN restore/recover problem

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:30:00 +0100

On 28/08/13 15:01, Holvoet, Jo wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I'm trying to do a PITR of an 11.1.0.7 database.
>
> Backupsets were restored from tape and I registered them in our RMAN
> catalog.

I assume that ALL the required archived log backups were also restored from tape, and catalogued?

> unable to find archived log
> archived log thread=1 sequence=1

Sounds like you are trying to recover from a starting point that is a previous incarnation. When you hit the thread=1 sequence=1 point in the recovery, you are applying the first archived log after the previous OPEN RESETLOGS. There's some stuff here about it -
http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/2012/05/oracle-rman-for-beginners-part-8/

Scroll down to "Restoring a Database Through a Resetlogs" where you will see archived logs being applied as part of the recover command, and the sequence drops down to 1 again as the recovery passes through the previous resetlogs.

> ORA-01190: control file or data file 1 is from before the last RESETLOGS
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u31/oradata/DWHPRD/system01.dbf'

This is definitely telling me that you are recovering through a reset. This wasn't possible before 11g, but from 11g onwards - I assume 11.1 - this was possible in RMAN. My blog examples all use 11.2 for the demonstrations.

> RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown archived log for thread 1
> with sequence 1 and starting SCN of 2635
> Sequence 1 ??? Why is it asking for archive log sequence 1 ?
> The archive logs I would expect to be used have sequence numbers upwards
> of 60000 or so and are in the catalog.

The sequence resets to 1 after an open resetlogs. Try the list incarnations command in RMAN for your database. It will show you the previous incarnations and when the last resetlogs was carried out.

> Any pointers very greatly appreciated.
HTH Cheers,
Norm.

PS. I'm not an RMAN expert, nor do I play one on TV!

--
Norman Dunbar
Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd

Registered address: