Re: Oracle 12c DB for EM12c

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:34:04 +0100

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>wrote:
> Not quite correct. You need the 12.1.0.4.0 DB plugin, the version number
> of EM12c remains at 12.1.0.3.0.
>
> Ain't version numbers fun now!

Hijacking this a bit^H^H^H^H a lot. It's not so much the version numbers that bother me, but the support/certified combo dance that seems likely to result. I must admit to being really hacked off when EM11 had issues with clustered SOA composites (because it received data from each of the cluster members rather than just one) and support wouldn't help us out because the version of SOA was a point release ahead of the certified combination. The reason it was a point release ahead was of course because support had told our client to upgrade to fix bugs in SOA. We had to construct a test case that used different components to prove it was related to the fact that the environment was clustered rather than a new failure of EM to recognize clusters when the version of SOA got a patchset. In principle of course the plugin architecture will help greatly with certification - especially if Oracle manage to mandate product groups certify against an existing plugin or update the plugin before a new patchset is released - but I do worry that there will be days of time spent on "no you need this patch to OUI to apply that patch to the managed target and this plugin updated to that version" before support issues actually get attention.

p.s. The client didn't bother licensing the SOA management suite (or several other EM added cost options) partly as a result of this support silliness.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA