Re: ramfs or ram disk

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:58:09 +0800

*Does anyone here know what he is talking about?* Possibly not your DW architect :-)

Oracle has memory allocations for many things, for temporary workareas, for commonly accessed data etc...

So if you've got

  1. an abundance of spare RAM floating around, and
  2. evidence that supports you needing more for Oracle activities

you're most probably better off setting the Oracle parameters to consume that RAM rather than something such as ram disk etc...

hth
Connor

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Josh Collier <Josh.Collier_at_banfield.net>wrote:

> My dw architect recently suggested that I create a tempFS "ramdisk" to
> increase performance. Honestly I have no idea what he is talking about. I
> am not sure he does either. When googling I am getting information that
> just confuses me. Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
> Oracle 11.2.02
> Redhat 5.4 64bit
> 500gb ram
>

> Creating a disk allocation to use as RAM? That sounds like swap to me.
>
> Creating a ram allocation to use as disk, that sounds volatile to me.
>
> If am not making any sense, please ignore :)
>

> Have a good day.

Connor McDonald
blog:   connormcdonald.wordpress.com
web:   http://www.oracledba.co.uk

"If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room."
- Jayne Howard