RE: Oracle linux vs RH Linux

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:59:27 -0700

We just built are first RAC system on RHEL 6. Actually we have not built a database on it just installed the Grid Infrastructure software. We ran into two problems. One Oracle referred us to RedHat as they thought it was a problem with asmlib. This made no sense to us. As this was our first build we thought we had done something wrong, but as we had used the same asmlib in a non-RAC environment, and because Oracle could not tell any specifics about the asmlib error, besides placing the call to RedHat, looked for problems in the configuration. We found the problem there. There was nothing wrong with asmlib.

The second problem was that the best practice video instructs one to provide the installer information about the nodes and for it to do the installation. This is just a two-node RAC system. When the the high-availability services were started on the second machine, it did not think it was joining a cluster, but instead creating a new one. It could not mount the ASM disks. We sent and re-sent, and re-sent support everything they requested, after no discernible progress. We provided the installer the information for one node only and used the, AddNode script to install the second. Things worked perfectly.

If there is really a choice of OS, I would go with OEL. The one-throat to strangle is a good incentive.

Ian A. MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Computing Division

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Prabhu Krishnaswamy [prabhu_adam_at_hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:09 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle linux vs RH Linux

Lists

Could you please throw me some good advantages of an Oracle linux over a RH linux ? We have huge bunch of servers to migrate to linux from Solaris. We do have all kind of db HA technology starting DG till RAC running on 11.2.0.3 versions.

Thanks

Prabhu

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Aug 23 2013 - 00:59:27 CEST

Original text of this message