Re: Oracle linux vs RH Linux

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:42:45 -0600

On 22/08/2013 3:09 PM, Prabhu Krishnaswamy wrote:
> Could you please throw me some good advantages of an Oracle linux over a RH linux ? We have huge bunch of servers to migrate to linux from Solaris. We do have all kind of db HA technology starting DG till RAC running on 11.2.0.3 versions.

If you plan on using the 'RH Compatible Kernel' instead of the 'UE Kernel', there is basically NO technical difference. At which time it comes down to price for support, comfort with that support, and "one throat to choke".

Oracle has a few goodlies, such as oracle-validated, and the EL6 counterpart oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall, that are nice, but in general not too much technical difference.

IF YOU sign up for Oracle Support, they add a bunch of things: clusterware, cloud control monitoring agent, and KSplice (zero downtime patching) is included in the Oracle Support fees, as described at http://www.oracle.com/us/support/policies/index.html and in particular at
http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/enterprise-linux-support-policies-069172.pdf

However, if you switch to Oracle's custom kernel, you add a few interesting kernel-supported extras, such as built-in ASMLib, and much tighter general ASM support, among other things

HTH/Hans