RE: recover rman backup

From: Patterson, Joel <jpatterson_at_entint.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:18:04 -0400

I'm not sure if I'm reading you right, so I'll ad lib. If the backup starts at 23:00... that would explain why you can't go to 22:00. You would have to start with an older backup to apply archive logs to 22:00.

If you started the backup before 22:00, but it finished after - and you want to restore to 22:00, same explanation as above.

RMAN has starts a backup, say at 21:30, and say the backup takes 2 hours. The database is changing during all that time, so picture the datafiles changing while being backed up. The first couple sets, other data changes are taking place, the second hour or subsequents sets likewise.

So you really don't have a consistent database until the backup has finished - because of the changes going on during the backup. If your backup finishes at 23:30, then you can only restore from 23:30 forward.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 928-2790

From: Oliver [mailto:ofabelo_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:00 AM To: Guillermo Alan Bort; Patterson, Joel Cc: Marcin Przepiorowski; Justin Mungal; oracle-l Subject: Re: recover rman backup

Exactly, I'm having error that you say .. ("datafile 1 was not recovered from a sufficiently old backup"). We make archivelog backup but I've not copied it to target server, because I though that as I only want recover backup (not future time of backup), that I wouldn't need archivelogs .. Is it correct? A friend has said me that I may run "recover database" simply .. (without until time ...). For Joel Patterson, yes, backup starts to 23:00 and it finishes 07:00 more or less .. I only want recover backup, point of the backup, not pass point time and not future point time, can I make that? Running recover database simply? I'm restoring again datafiles because some "recover database until time" have done some changes in datafiles. Thanks beforehand.

2013/8/21 Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>> If the backup was done online (with the database open) you need at the very least the archivelogs generated during the backup, otherwise you can't really recover the database. Plus, if your backup started at 23:00 and you set until time 22:00, you are likely going to get an error such as "datafile 1 was not recovered from a sufficiently old backup" (or something to that effect). Do you have archivelog backup? can you paste the entire output of the run block? RMAN-03031 is a generic warning as far as I recall. cheers

Alan.-

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Oliver <ofabelo_at_gmail.com<mailto:ofabelo_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi list,
I have restored all datafiles now correctly (I've had many problems for space issues).
I'm trying recover database now, but I have problems, I run: run {
SET UNTIL TIME "to_date('13 AUG 2013 22:00:00','DD MON YYYY hh24:mi:ss')"; recover database;
}

I have warning rman-03031 (I do copy/paste over rman prompt of above lines). The backup that I'm trying recover is done starting 13 AUG 23:00 .. It fails because asks about an archivelog file .. I only want recover database until backup start, I don't need recover data later of that. I think that I don't need archivelog files :-? Thanks beforehand.

Regards..

2013/8/13 Oliver <ofabelo_at_gmail.com<mailto:ofabelo_at_gmail.com>>

> Ok, thank you very much Marcin, understood.
>
> Regards...
>

> 2013/8/12 Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com<mailto:pioro1_at_gmail.com>>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As mentioned early you can restore ASM DB into file system but RMAN
>> backup is physical one so you can restore particular tablespace (plus
>> couple of mandatory ones) but you can not restore single table or schema.
>> If you want one table only you need to restore whole tablespace and then
>> export table using Data Pump export/import.
>>
>> regards,
>> Marcin
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Oliver <ofabelo_at_gmail.com<mailto:ofabelo_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm a newbie, so I'm sorry if question is very easy for yours or it isn't
>>> possible ..
>>> I have a production database in Oracle RAC 10g, and a test database in
>>> simple oracle 10g instance. Production is using ASM, and test using
>>> normal
>>> filesystem, for storing datafiles.
>>> Is it possible to use a rman backup of production for recovering some
>>> schemas in test database? (question is because productions uses ASM and
>>> test normal filesystem). Both use same operating system (AIX) and same
>>> Oracle 10g version (10.2.0.5.0).
>>> If it is possible, could you indicate me some manual/tutorial where it
>>> explains how to do it please?
>>> Thanks beforehand.
>>> Regards...
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
>>>

>> --
>> Marcin Przepiorowski
>> http://oracleprof.blogspot.com

Joel Patterson
Sr. Database Administrator | Enterprise Integration
Phone: 904-928-2790 | Fax: 904-733-4916
www.entint.com<http://www.entint.com/>

[http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/signaturev61.jpg]<http://www.entint.com/>

[http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_FaceBook1.jpg]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-Integration/212351215444231>  [http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_Twitter1.jpg] <http://twitter.com/#!/entint>   [http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_LinkedIn1.jpg] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/18276?trk=tyah>   [http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_YouTube1.jpg] <http://www.youtube.com/user/ValueofIT>

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use
of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential,
subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this
message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be
monitored. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. [v.1.1]