Re: Non-Sql data extraction (recovery tools)

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:16:00 -0600

One of two things are going on here...
  1. Performing recovery from a unopenable Oracle database, when this is the only possible method to extract the data for reload
    • Though it isn't free, DUDE (http://www.ora600.be) is the best tool available at the lowest cost o if the data is truly of value, then the cost should considered in light of the value of the data o Extracting data directly from the datafiles for any other purpose or reason is foolish + Bypassing the consistent-read mechanism built into the SQL API of Oracle can yield corrupted data
  2. Hacking into some Oracle datafiles
    • I am not interested in helping someone do this, both for the reasons stated above and because it might be irresponsible

Whomever wants to do this should clarify their reasons, I think?

Full disclosure: I am the US representative for DUDE, which is based in Belgium.