EM 12c VMware Plugin/monitoring

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:59:35 -0400

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=34841:11 I have not installed EM 12c yet. I have literally not had the hardware to standup another DB to host this. Some new hardware is being setup now and I want to get EM running (its just a dev/test environment). So asking this site unseen. I can't mess around with it until the hardware is setup.

We run everything on VMWare esxi VMs. With the new hardware there will about about a dozen hosts and 80+ VMs along with a mid-range SAN (I forget the exact version). All I have to monitor the VMs with is the free Vsphre client. The biggest problem with this is that I don't get a dashboard for all the hosts. I have to log into each separately. So this can be a serious hassle. VM makes you pay for a tool that does that and this is contracting and the client won't pay.

Not sure if its worth looking at the VMware plugin for EM? anyone use it? At first glance it just looks like its Vsphere plugged into EM with a few prettier pictures. That isn't useful to me. This would only be useful if I could get the data added to my dashboard so I can go to my hosts screen and keep an eye on all of them from one screen and set up email alerts., etc... The Admin work here is not real heavy lifting, but it can be tedious. This is a smaller team so there is only 1 SA and he is spread over 2 projects.

any other options than this for monitoring the actually VMWare hosts from with in EM 12c? Think with the new dashboard configuration, I can organize my VMs in the dashboard and group them by host manually, but I don't know if there is a way to get host level metrics off of EM ( can I install an oracle agent on a Vmware OS on the host? )

This isn't mission critical. Just trying to make some work less tedious.