Re: HA options

From: Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 21:16:11 +1000

Hi
We use dataguard quite extensively and switchover every 6 months as part of our DR and run there till next switchover. During the last DR test we switched over 6 databases in less than 30 minutes, so down time should be minutes only from a DB point of view. Some apps may require some configuring as well so that may take some time. If you keep hardware the same you only really need 1 switchover, and the next switchover will be during the next DR test.

Jack

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, Ram K wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the responses.
> The patching team wants several hours downtime for patching and the
> business side does not like that many hours and are looking for minimizing
> downtime as much as possible. Going forward I have to look at alternate
> solutions. RAC is one option, but it is pricier (when we present the $
> involved with higher price options, they usually back down). Plus, as Nuno
> pointed out, applying patches for storage could be an issue with RAC. But
> still with RAC, the application will be available during OS patching etc -
> not as much downtime.
>
> We are in the process of setting up dataguard and I am learning the finer
> details of it. I was thinking that with dataguard, there will be lesser
> downtime than keeping the DB totally shutdown. They may not like the fact
> there will be 2 downtimes during switchover, so i am trying to find out if
> there is a 'seamless switchover' in 11g somewhere that I am not aware of.
>
> I know about replication, RAC, etc (some of our DBs are RACed), but we are
> looking to see how far we can go with DG.
>

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>

> > In framing your expectations, are you talking about requiring a small
> > number
> > of seconds or a small number minutes? Are you routinely already running
> > dataguard or some flavor of physical backup continuous recovery? Do you
> > already routinely switch over and switch back so that you know all the
> > software pieces you need are in place and whatever web to application to
> > database routing you have in place works seamlessly?
> >
> > The key is to keep things like this as boring and simple as possible.
> Truly
> > zero downtime is neither.

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation