RE: ARCn

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:28:54 -0400

/religious war warning

I also don't know exactly what the code does. One way to finesse this with *some* volume managers is to use external redundancy to have sufficient plexes (aka images, mirrors) in a RAID sense on the storage that you can dispense with having multiple members (that's the religious war part). Some volume managers allow you to specify your read preference so you get what you're asking for from the underlying media instead of from Oracle's code.

/warning off.

Without extensive testing (which I'm unlikely to do) or the code in hand (which is unlikely to happen in lieu of a bonkers offer that recruits me to Oracle) I would not argue with Hans' guess.

If anyone really knows, please chime in.

footnote: Jared has some really good (meaning only funny after the resolution) war stories about someone less than competent deleting one member of a redo group. My experience is that when someone is that idiotic they usually delete all the members. That is the nature of the "religious" argument. I can see both sides of the argument: Sometimes the wrong person gets the keys to the kingdom.

mwf