Re: ARCn

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 12:49:58 -0600

On 01/08/2013 12:12 PM, Ricard Martínez wrote:
> Hi
> I have a doubt about the archive process. One redo log group have at least
> 2 members. When the ARCn process reads it to create the archive log, did it
> always reads member 1? or its random?

Curious why this is important to you. (There are legit reasons, just wondering.)
> Cause here seems that is always member 1:
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/physical.htm#i1006259
That doc says " the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, and if automatic archiving is enabled, then the archiver process (ARCn) will archive *one* of these files. If A_LOG1 is corrupted, then the process can archive B_LOG1."

The way I read that comment, "One of these files" does not imply "File 1"

Then again, unless there is an I/O issue, why would it matter which one it reads? I personally would program this to say "start by reading member one, continue with member one of the next group unless we end up switching due to corruption, at which time we switch to member 2 and stick with that series unless we are forced to switch again."