Re: Oracle Total Recall performance vs Materialized Views

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:29:03 -0700

One option is to use a product like Delphix that can spin up a thin clone at 00:00:00 exactly in a few minutes with a few clicks of a mouse. The primary use case of Delphix is spinning up as many thin clones of a database as one wants in minutes with almost no storage overhead by using the Delphix "data virtualization appliance" (DVA). The DVA keeps changes from a source database for a configurable time window and thin clones can be spun up from anywhere within that time window down to the second or SCN. So not only can one spin up a thin clone from last night midnight but from every midnight for the past two weeks, two months or two years, thus providing temporal data access with no configuration changes or extra storage, DDL restrictions or performance hits on the source database. At the bottom of this blog post you can see the time line slider for choosing an incarnation time of the thin clone

http://dboptimizer.com/2013/07/04/dbaas-delphix-configuration-and-usage/

Here is a blog post where Jonathan Lewis explains the technology

http://dboptimizer.com/2013/07/16/jonathan-lewis-explains-delphix-technology/

Best Wishes
Kyle Hailey
http://dboptimizer.com