Re: Oracle Total Recall performance vs Materialized Views

From: Adam Musch <ahmusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:29:06 -0500

Mark:
One could do the following, instead:

At 11:50 on the standby database, stop automatic log application. At 12:10 or thereabouts, recover the database to exactly midnight. Open the database read only. Log transport should still run, but not managed recovery.

When done using the standby database as a reporting environment, resume the recovery process. If all the logs are present and one has turned off the checksumming on the standby, we've seen redo log application on a standby run at about an 8:1 time ratio.

That would eliminate the need to clone any other databases or to perform resetlogs; it's just another standby frozen in time at midnight, and if you're not using active data guard, it's not like the standby could be queried in any event.

--
Adam Musch
ahmusch_at_gmail.com