Re: Future ETL directions w/o CDC...

From: Alex Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:04:40 -0400

The CDC gets scratched in favor of GoldenGate, yes. The reason is CDC was based on Oracle Streams (the async one at least) which are also getting scratched in favor of GoldenGate.
How serious is the message? Logical Standby is based on Oracle Streams so you can't really scratch Streams out without scratching out Logical Standby at the same time. The best part is GoldenGate Integrated Capture is based on Streams Capture so you can't really scratch Oracle Streams without scratching Integrated Capture at the same time. Sounds like a catch 22 to me ;-)

For now I don't think there are any reasons to panic just yet. I remember when Streams got introduced back in 9i Advanced Replication got declared obsolete. Well there are people who use AR these days.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM, David Mann <dmann99_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a customer with a home grown set of data warehouse processes. A mix
> of IBM DataStage for ETL and triggers for data movement are the main
> components right now. Load/update performance is abysmal and they are
> researching options.
> I'm pretty sure I am able to tune any flush-and-fill type of activities
> they run. The hard part is always the incremental updates. I do remember
> DataStage and Informatica being able to talk CDC with optional adaptors. I
> was about to recommend looking into these then I remembered reading the
> 11gR2 documentation which mentioned future desupport of CDC and the 12c
> release notes which officially call it out as deprecated.
>
> With the sunsetting of CDC in 12c, does anyone have any ideas on places to
> look for feeding incremental updates into the popular ETL tools?
>
> I have extensive experience with GoldenGate, but don't know of any products
> that integrate with it just yet. I can introduce a new set of landing
> tables into the processing but GG hides the complexity of the change stream
> pretty well and I'm trying to avoid engineering a hybrid approach from
> scratch - GG to capture changes and custom code to make them appear
> "CDC-like" to existing processes.
>
> --
> Dave Mann
> General Geekery | www.brainio.us