RE: Accessing ASH is slow

From: John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:20:41 +0100

I have just presented a talk at a UKOUG SIG about how we built our AWR repository and the benefits we have achieved. There are two main points that I would make

It can be cost neutral - you don't need a multi-CPU server, most of the time you will be running single queries and you wont have many users who can logon. More importantly disk can be tier 3 and by compressing the loaded AWR (and ASH) data along with reducing the retention of production to 7 or 14 days then no additional disk is required.

Secondly, once you have the repository it can be used for a number of reasons - holding performance test data, comparing performance pre-release with post-release, capturing OEM unix data and storing that etc etc.

John

jhadba.wordpress.com