Re: Encrypted tablespace vs Encrypted backupset

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

This little table is handy to explain what happens: From:  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/security/index-095354.html

RMAN Backup ...
Data in the Database ...
not encrypted
TDE column encryption
TDE tablespace encryption
No RMAN encryption and no RMAN compressionData not compressed and not encrypted Data in encrypted columns remains encrypted Data in encrypted tablespaces remains encrypted RMAN compressionData compressed Data compressed; encrypted columns are treated as if they were not encrypted Encrypted tablespaces are decrypted, compressed, and re-encrypted; un-encrypted tablespaces are compressed and encrypted (after compression, the content of encrypted and clear text tablespaces cannot be distinguished) RMAN encryptionData encrypted Data encrypted; double encryption of encrypted columns Encrypted blocks are passed through to the backup unchanged; clear text blocks are encrypted RMAN encryption and RMAN compressionData compressed first, then encrypted Data compressed first, then encrypted; encrypted columns are treated as if they were not encrypted; double encryption of encrypted columns Encrypted tablespaces are decrypted, compressed, and re-encrypted; un-encrypted tablespaces are compressed and encrypted

In your scenario, if the blocks are encrypted via TDE tablespace encryption, RMAN encryption ignores the blocks.  It only encrypts clear text blocks outside of encrypted tablespaces.

Job

 From: Outsider <mufc01666_at_gmail.com> To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:51 AM
Subject: Encrypted tablespace vs Encrypted backupset

Dear friends,
Could you please give me some help about Oracle encryption. In our Oracle DB 11g we have encrypted tablespace. So I understand that all data
in datafiles are encrypted and when I perform backup database plus archivelog all data in backupset will remain encrypted. So need I configure RMAN encryption for backupsets?

Thanks a lot in advance.