RE: Conceptual Data Model (Federal Enterprise Architecture)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:08:38 -0400

Well we've run straight into a generational difference between modern "operational" DBAs and DBAs of years past when experienced developers were chosen to become database administrators and supply the development surgical team (see Brooks, Man-month, Mythical) with a data model (be it network, Codasyl, IMF, Cobol identifications, PL/I structures, or relational [since 1969 in theory, about 1973 in practice with the development of DaTaSyS, W, R, and what-have-you and the public release of Oracle in 1977]).

Now I guess we call folks who do that Data Architects (at least until the AIA sues someone for misusing the term Architect.)

DBAs also had responsibilities for security and granting access to any programs which in turn could access data assets of the corporation.

Finally, DBAs had responsibility for setting up JCL and the like for operators to run.

But I'm not out to start a religious war and I realize that the bulk of folks with the title DBA manage operational databases these days.

;{ o

mwf