uncertain future of Oracle MySQL exams [1Z0-871, 1Z0-872, 1Z0-873, 1Z0-874]

From: Fernando J. Andrade <jotawolf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:12:04 +0200

Lukas

Be careful with the first exam it seems as an easy win but there are some script names that are not in use anymore like mysql.server. Another gotcha are questions about infrequently used storage engines as MERGE.

About the future of MySQL, I'm getting more and more requirements for MySQL cluster consultancy or support, I see future for the product if Oracle let it roll. Having a share nothing topology for cluster is a win in modern cloud topologies, and for some shops being labeled as an Oracle product is a must for support and peace of mind. Moreover the easy replication with an updatable slave, something you must pay aside in Oracle is a big win. Also I got the feeling that Oracle is working hard on it, the last stable version 5.6 is a big step ahead in replication architecture and management.

Talking about challengers, I feel Percona is a bigger contender than MariaDB, they have a strong position in hot backup, an innodb storage engine alternative and a good cluster version.

My recommendation is to go straight to MySQL cluster certification, that's the one that matters.