Re: Log File Switch Completion

From: <ja_morcillo_servext_rsi_at_cajarural.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:47:42 +0200

Hello!
Sorry for not being more specific!

We are under 11.2.0.2.0 and Linux 2.6.18-238.el5, three nodes RAC.

The thing is that we experienced a RAC hang. In node 1 and 2 we found one event using around 25% of the time: "enq: SQ - contention" and in node 3 the event: "row cache lock"
using 36.50% of the time and the event "log file switch completion" using 28.72% of the time.

We increased sequences cache but now we want to know why "log file switch completion" event showed up in node 3, here is where support told us to reduced the size of
our log files...but we think they are not right!

bd is a pure data warehouse.

Thanks a lot!
José

De: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au> Para: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Fecha: 22/07/2013 14:19
Asunto: Re: Log File Switch Completion
Enviado por: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

Why would support be worried about 1GB log file beats me. I assume you are on archive redo log mode, and that you are concerned with waits on that event?
It isn't necessarily bad. I've been on 1GB redo logs in my DW for nearly 5 years now and no sweat.
It is all very contingent on what your db is doing. Is it for EBS or some other DSS/OLTP application?
If so then yes, I'd be concerned with reducing the switch completion event wait. But it all hinges on how much wait you are experiencing. Some numbers, release levels, OS levels, etc, would be welcome. As well, the nature of the db and its applications.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l ------------ ADVERTENCIA LEGAL --------------- "Este mensaje puede contener INFORMACIÓN CONFIDENCIAL, PRIVILEGIADA y/o DATOS DE CARÁCTER PERSONAL. Si usted no es el destinatario indicado en este mensaje (o el responsable de entregarlo al mismo) no debe copiar o entregar este mensaje a nadie más. En dicho caso le rogamos que destruya este mensaje y lo notifique al remitente. Por favor, indique inmediatamente si usted o su empresa no aceptan comunicaciones de este tipo por Internet. Las opiniones, conclusiones y demás información incluida en este mensaje que no esté relacionada con asuntos profesionales del Grupo Caja Rural se entenderá que nunca se ha dado, ni está respaldada por el mismo." ------------ LEGAL ADVICE --------------- "This message can contain restricted confidential information or personal data. If you are not the intended recipient (or the responsible to give it) you shouldn't copy or forward this message. If this message has been received by mistake, please, delete it and inform to addressee. If you or your company don't accept this kind of information by internet, please send us a notification inmediately. Grupo Caja Rural are not responsible for the opinions, conclusions, contents or any file attached included in this message, which were not related to professional matters.? ----------------------------------------------- -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l