question on required rpm for rhel5 for 11.2

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:54:42 -0800

In the past, our SAs have typically installed a lot of 32-bit versions of Oracle rpms on a 64-bit machine. One of these is elfutils-libelf.i386. Our procedures have changed and our SAs will now not install the 32-bit version unless it is required.

The 32-bit version of this library isn't listed as a requirement in the Oracle installation documentation. However, there are a number of other websites where people have posted instructions for installing the Oracle software and they include this rpm as a requirement.

Anyone know why the 32-bit version would be listed as a requirement on these other (typically reliable) sites, but not as a requirement by Oracle?

Do others typically install the 32-bit version of this library?

  • Maureen