Re: Tools/monitoring question

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:07:41 +1000

On 18/07/2013 12:57 AM, Christopher.Taylor2_at_Parallon.com wrote: > I have come to the realization I've become a little too dependent
> upon Grid Control for giving me a "quick overview" of system
> performance. Those colorful graphs are like DBA crack ;) So let's
> say Grid is down or I'm in an environment where Grid is not
> available. I'm pretty good with SQL but I still like that overview
> that Grid gives me where I can quickly identify "blips" related to
> performance.
>
> I'm curious what tools/scripts you guys have in your toolboxes to
> give you a quick overview when your favorite tool is unavailable. I
> have several tools in my toolbox as well, but nothing quite as good
> as Grid when it comes to giving me that "big picture" view to quickly
> see issues that are impacting users.

I use Statspack and AWR, with Mumbai as the monitoring tool. Mumbai is free and can do its own monitoring, as well as look at SP data, AWR data and even ASH.
(Yes, I *am FULLY aware* that AWR is separately licensed: that is not the subject here!)
And of course one can run our own home-brew script of choice. I sample SP twice a day to give me long-term data for capacity planning. Basically, it accumulates forever.
AWR is sampled every hour and is kept for a week, or in some cases 1 month. After that, I let it clean itself out.
In some dbs, I use EM. Mostly because developers might need access to its nice graphics.
Mumbai does graphics as well, but they are less glitzy and more on the practical side.
Soon to be replaced by EM12c monitoring but that's a subject for the last third of this year.

  • Cheers Nuno Souto dbvision_at_iinet.net.au