Re: Tools/monitoring question

From: Martin Klier <usn_at_usn-it.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:22:37 +0200

Impacting users without Enterprise Manager and Spotlight is not that easy.

But generating AWR (or Statspack) reports is always a good idea to find out what's going on - by means of how resources are wasted, and which SQL is responsible for the worst.

What I do a lot is:
http://www.usn-it.de/index.php/2012/09/10/effecting-oracle-miracles-with-standard-edition-and-statspack-without-awr/

But with Diagnostics Pack enabled, using ASH is great too.

Regards
Martin Klier

Christopher.Taylor2_at_Parallon.com schrieb:
> I have come to the realization I've become a little too dependent upon Grid Control for giving me a "quick overview" of system performance. Those colorful graphs are like DBA crack ;)
> So let's say Grid is down or I'm in an environment where Grid is not available. I'm pretty good with SQL but I still like that overview that Grid gives me where I can quickly identify "blips" related to performance.
>
> I'm curious what tools/scripts you guys have in your toolboxes to give you a quick overview when your favorite tool is unavailable. I have several tools in my toolbox as well, but nothing quite as good as Grid when it comes to giving me that "big picture" view to quickly see issues that are impacting users.
>
> I do have Spotlight available but we haven't configured it and I'm not entirely sure I want to go that route as it adds objects to the database. I have Toad as well but I'm really thinking along the lines of SQL scripts would be handy.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Chris D. Taylor
> Oracle DBA
> Parallon ITS