RE: 12c grid control

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 20:19:20 -0400

From time to time it seems that something appears on OTN before it appears on edelivery by a long enough margin to wonder. I *think* that is all we are talking about.

During that gap, of course, they could know you didn't get something from edelivery.

While there might be *support* questions if something hasn't appeared on edelivery yet, only the worst sort of pedant would claim that as the sole reason for non-license compliance. I don't personally have any experience of non-support because it was from OTN nor a license question because it came from OTN when a valid license for the product was in place.

However whether Hans' report is theoretical or an actual past event, we all know such putzes exist and we each have to decide how much defensive behavior we need to engage in to be comfortable.

I personally advise others to be careful and if it happened to me I'd escalate it until an old friend recognized me and intervened. I don't believe Oracle corporate wants their customers to be mistreated, but I also think they believe in protecting the integrity of license revenue. Where the rubber meets the road is individual salesmen and license audit teams and your mileage may certainly vary. If what you are doing is fundamentally correct and someone tries to tell you it is not, escalate until you reach someone who understands. You'll probably get an apology and some training credits. If you believe you're doing the right thing, do not operate from fear.

If what you're doing is sleazy or borderline sleazy, then you'll probably get what you deserve, and maybe you should operate from fear.

mwf

From: De DBA [mailto:dedba_at_tpg.com.au] Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:48 AM
To: Peter Sharman
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Pete,

I've always taken the view that the software is the same, no matter where it comes from. Since downloading from OTN works a lot better and easier for me, I never bother with eDelivery. I'm thinking that if we have a properly paid license, that would cover production installations, rather than the OTN download license. If memory serves well, there's even a line in the OTN licensing that alludes to it - something like "if the software is used in a production environment, a full license must be obtained".

Am I wrong? Should production software always be downloaded from eDelivery?

Cheers,
Tony

On 4/07/13 2:40 AM, Peter Sharman wrote:
> Just for my information, is this a common concern? I've not heard of
people having this issue before.

> I'll follow up to see if I can find someone who owns putting this stuff
out on edelivery as well, not sure why it would be in one and not the other.

> Pete
>
> Pete Sharman
> Principal Product Manager
> Enterprise Manager Product Suite
> 33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA
> Phone: +61262924095 | | Fax: +61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449
>
> "Controlling developers is like herding cats."
> Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
>
> "Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"
> Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

Control 12.1.0.3 on edelivery?

> I've been trying to find it there, since I'm not comfortable accepting the
OTN license for a download I plan to use in a production installation. I don't see it under the Oracle Enterprise Manager product pack (Linux x86-64), I only see 12.1.0.2.