RE: EM 12c Administration groups

From: Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:12:42 -0700 (PDT)

OK, now I understand.

If you want wants to use the groups for setting up monitoring (i.e. applying monitoring templates), then admin groups are the way to go because they automate template apply operations for you. You don't get that with other groups.

However, the requirement for the admin group hierarchy is that it needs to have the same target property as criteria for each level. From the description, it seems Lifecycle Status could be used for 1st level criteria (i.e. 1st level under AdminGrp0) for Prod, NonProd, MissionCritical but it doesn't fit the 'ExternalDepartment' group criteria.

If you are able to re-organize the groups such that they use the same criteria (i.e. target property) for each level of the group, then admin groups would still be the recommended way for all the benefits it brings.

Pete

Pete Sharman
Principal Product Manager
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA Phone: +61262924095 | | Fax: +61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA