Re: Opinion on change control for DBA scripts

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:48:30 -0300

First off, I would go that that VP, give them all the information you have, present a plan to implement change control for DBA scripts (or at least keep then in a central repository) and then kindly inform him that yelling is not an appropriate way to communicate with an employee. If he does that again, I would report him to HR for harassment. Do NOT take abuse from "bosses". EVER.
Now, I usually keep my personal scripts in my own VM and replicated to all my computers (PC, Laptop, tablet, etc) with dropbox. In one company I had toi follow strict change control procedures if I wanted to update a script in prod. (change control procedures included dev and qa testing). Now I don't have to do that for any customer so I don't. For the scripts I develop now we have a source control system in place as well as a wiki, all the scripts are stored there.

So yeah, source control is the basic safety mechanism you can use to store your scripts (the repository still needs to be backed up off server, of course)

cheers

Alan.-