Re: Redolog movement

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:47:34 -0300

It really depends on your approach to moving the redo logs. If you choose to simply move them, then you need to stop the database and recreate the controlfile. A bit of an overkill.

If you want to keep the same size for the redo logs but simply move them to a new destination then you can simply add a member to the groups and then drop the old member, this is online, and does not require any application (golden gate included) to be stopped.

If you want to change the size in addition to chaning the location, then you need to create new groups for each thread and then drop theold groups. This is still an online operation, but you need to wait until the old groups are cleared (or force a checkpoint?) before you remove them. I don't know if dropping an INACTIVE group will have any impact on GG, but it should not, as GG can go to the archivelogs for older data.

Alan.-