Re: 12c appears to be available on https://edelivery.oracle.com

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:37:17 -0600

On 26/06/2013 8:11 AM, Jeff Smith wrote:
>> I really don't see the value of 'char(32768)'
> One of the challenges of migrating non-Oracle applications to Oracle Database is the use of longer varchar2's. Now that we support 32k varchar2's, folks migrating can avoid having to re-engineer to work with CLOBs.

As I said - I have no big problem with varchar2(32K). There will be side affects, especially in the performance area due to chaining, that will require re-engineering for some cases, but that's a challenge for another day.

It's the 32K fixed length CHAR datatype that I have a challenge understanding. I have yet to see *any* app successfully implement fixed length CHAR to any size over about 8 characters. ;-)

/Hans