Re: 12c appears to be available on https://edelivery.oracle.com

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:47:01 +0300

>I really don't see the value of 'char(32768)'

It depends. Currently(well, soon to become past) developers use LOBs when VARCHARs are too small and immediately run into problems. I blogged on one over there
http://laimisnd.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/lobs-and-flashback-database-performance/#comment-2

my 2cents, Laimis N

  From:       Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>

  To:         oracle-l_at_freelists.org

  Date:       2013.06.26 05:39

  Subject:    Re: 12c appears to be available on https://edelivery.oracle.com

On 25/06/2013 7:09 PM, rjamya wrote:
> Dont miss varchar2 and char columns can be upto 32k. No unnecessary clobs
> and clobs have securefiles as default storage.

Yay! Now the developers and users can give us Immediate, uncontrolled chained rows! ;-)

I really don't see the value of 'char(32768)' - can't see anyone counting the exact number of blanks at the end of the real string - but varchar2 that big might be nice to have, if it's not abused.

/Hans