Re: Partition Ideas for Data Archival

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:15:18 -0500

Without having given it much thought (always a good start, I know), why wouldn't range partitioning on ev_time still work? Perhaps there is an upper bound on acceptable number values for ranges. Anyone know if you can use a virtual column for a partition key? I'm guessing not but if so you could create a virtual column that converts ev_time to a date value. That's enough wild guessing for one email.

Don.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Steven Andrew <postora_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking for some ideas around archiving 2 tables that we have, seem to be
> growing too fast than we had expected.
> Below are the 2 tables with columns of interest listed.
>
> event -- ev_id, ev_time, other cols
> event_dtls -- ev_id, other cols
>
> I wish we had ev_time to be date or timestamp data type, unfortunately it's
> NUMBER with date/time stored in Milli-Seconds since epoch, for e.g.
> 1372091857723 translates to 6/24/2013 18:37:37.
>
> We want to archive events older than 6 months from both tables, however the
> ev_time stored in milli-seconds make it challenging.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Steven.
> 11gR2, 3Node RAC Cluster, Linux 5.8x