detecting version of restored database controlfile

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:13:47 -0500

Just curious, does anyone know an easy way to detect what version a controlfile is? I'm writing a program that needs to restore from a backup, and the original source database could be one of several versions. Of course if you try to open a DB with the wrong software version then it errors out -- so I'd like to detect and correct this condition as early as possible (ideally before restoring and recovering all the datafiles). So far haven't figured out a way to get the version from the RMAN recovery catalog or v$controlfile or v$database or anywhere else. Of couse v$version and v$instance show the software I'm using to do the restore, not the software of the control & data files I'm restoring. Anybody know a way to figure this out? Seems like the sort of thing that really should have been in the controlfile and recovery catalog...

-J

--

http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

--