Re: ORA-08177 at insert?

From: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars_at_rulegen.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:09:10 +0200

Is there an index on that table?
Inserts cause index "updates". Many years ago I investigated what might have been the exact same issue you describe here, and I recall that as soon as index maintenance decides that a block needed to be split, you could run into the 'cannot serialize' error.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi List,
> I found a very interesting observation I can not explain (based on this
> page:
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/41591/0/page/2 )
>
> given a table with an index (not even unique)
>
> with 2 sessions set isolation_level=serializable and both do a simple
> insert often enough, an
> ORA-08177: can't serialize access for this transaction
> is raised.
> The solution of the page mentioned above is to set the table to
> rowdependencies
> .
>
> But I would like to understand why the ORA-08177 is raised at all for pure
> inserts? They should be totally independent?
>
> Any insights what the instance is doing here are very welcome.
>
> Martin

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV
Toon.Koppelaars_at_RuleGen.com
www.RuleGen.com
TheHelsinkiDeclaration.blogspot.com

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
www.rulegen.com/am4dp-backcover-text