ORA-08177 at insert?

From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:21:22 +0200

Hi List,
I found a very interesting observation I can not explain (based on this page:
http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/41591/0/page/2 )

given a table with an index (not even unique)

with 2 sessions set isolation_level=serializable and both do a simple insert often enough, an

   ORA-08177: can't serialize access for this transaction  is raised.
The solution of the page mentioned above is to set the table to rowdependencies .

But I would like to understand why the ORA-08177 is raised at all for pure inserts? They should be totally independent?

Any insights what the instance is doing here are very welcome.

 Martin