Re: Oracle migration using shareplex or goldengate or TTS

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:06:36 -0300

I have doen this with GoldenGate and TTS. TTS requires a lot of preparation work and during the actual migration you have very little trouble (assuming you thoroughly tested everything beforehand). There are a few bugs where expdp corrupts the metadata for TTS, but I don't know if it applies to your scenario as you don't mention DB version. GG is my favorite, though, as you can test the database (the data) online, and veridata helps you identify data gaps. It's a little weaker than TTS because you can have a scenario where everything appears OK except there are differences in some rows in some tables, but the downtime is truly near zero.

I would personally go with GG because I don't like TTS much, and I like having a clean database to migrate to (and TTS are not clean)

I haven't ever seen a shareplex implementation, but having done both TTS and GG I can tell you that they are all good enough for what you need, and the decision should be based on which tool you know best, as you would be less likely to hit avoidable issues and more likely to resolve the ones you do face, or at least likely to resolve them more quickly. Both TTS and GG (and I'd venture shareplex as well) have a sttep learning curve, and learning with a migration of a productive environment is traditionally not the best alternative.

hth

Alan.-