Re: Standy database on standard edition

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:18:49 +1000

On 14/06/2013 9:37 PM, Patterson, Joel wrote:
> Its news to me. I don't talk to the vendor, or the client directly -- but doubt if I would argue against his licensing opinions even if I suspect they are misplaced. He says even sqlplus cannot be used...

That would indeed be a first in Oracle licensing! sqlplus is essential to start and shutdown and manage the db, even if OEM is being used. I suspect there is something else weird going on there. Perhaps the Oracle licensing was provided as an embedded part of a third party application from the supplier? If so, then indeed the licensing will be very restricted. As in: nothing but the kernel code will be licensed.

> ???
>
> Backups can be done by a 3rd party tool which could mean home grown or purchased I suppose -- but not rman... I'm just not going there, it is what it is.

Yeah, if it is an embedded license you'll need a third party tool for just about everything. Very weird, I didn't know Oracle was still doing that sort of thing. Was all the rage back in the 80s but people wised up after that.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto