Re: Standy database on standard edition

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:41:12 +1000

On 13/06/2013 12:40 AM, Patterson, Joel wrote:
> Section 2.3.2 of this document indicates that data guard is not part of Standard Edition.
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25608/standby.htm
>
> In your opinions, would my interpretation that the data guard licensing could not possibly be violated whether the standby database stays in recovery disconnect from session, or whether it is recovered once/day and opened read only?

If you open read only, it's not standby. You must then license its operation in the second site.
You can certainly "catch up" the standby db manually (or by your own script) and that does not incur a license extension. It's part of the standard functionality of any db with recovery on.

> I opened an SR, but it is a sev 4...

By all means let us know outcome.

> Also, if both databases on the separate servers happen to have the same exact name, is that a show > stopper or an issue? The standby will point its logsource for recovery to the primary archive log > destination on a backup device.

Standby does not need to point anything with SE. It's a recovered db in a different system. The location of that system is immaterial. The original db is not a standby for the standby. Of course: all that changes in true DG but that is not the point here.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto