Re: best practice maximum number of OS processes

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:25:17 +1000

No, that sounds quite silly to me. As an example, my workstation (admittedly Debian Squeeze 64bit, not Redhat, but otherwise quite comparable) runs currently 282 processes on only 2 cores. This provides perfect performance. Of the 282 processes, 133 are root (system) processes, providing various essential services. Restricting the OS to 8 * cores processes (=16 in my case) would make it impossible to run the OS, let alone user programs.

Perhaps they refer to the run queue, rather than the total number of processes?

Hth,
Tony