RE: best practice maximum number of OS processes

From: <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:46:49 -0700

 Untrue since the days chip speed was measured in single-digit MHz.&n= bsp; Someone is spouting BS like it's 1989...
= =0A=0A=0A-------- Original Message --= ------
=0ASubject: best practice maximum number of OS processes
=0AFr= om: Josh Collier <Josh.Coll= ier_at_banfield.net[1]>
=0ADate: Wed, June 12, 2013 4:35 pm
=0ATo: "= oracle-l_at_freelists.org[2]" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org[2]>
  • =0A
    =0AHi,
    =0AI am trying to validate the following statement for red= hat linux 64bit
    5.4, 11.2.0.2:
    =0A
    =0AIt is a best practice to limit= the number of operating system processes
    to no more than 8 times the numbe= r of CPU cores
    =0A
    =0A
    =0ADoes this sound reasonable? This would m= ean on a 32 core system I would
    be limited to no more 256 processes to serv= e my queries. In a partitioned data warehouse.
    =0A
    =0AThanks for your= time,
    =0A
    =0AJoshC.