RE: Standy database on standard edition

From: Patterson, Joel <jpatterson_at_entint.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:33:46 -0400

:) Thanks... Remember some of the caveats that went with this... apparently one is that RMAN is not allowed... (Can you believe that)? So this tangent is solely a logical exercise. Duplicating the entire database every time is clearly time consuming... so if RMAN had to restore all the datafiles every time, it is not going to be practical... although legal - not exactly a standby work around.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 928-2790

From: Ryan January [mailto:rjjanuary_at_multiservice.com] Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:54 PM
To: Patterson, Joel
Cc: Hans Forbrich; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Standy database on standard edition

From a legal perspective you'd be 100% in the clear. From a technical standpoint, once the database is opened I think it would require a fresh copy of the datafiles.

From the 10.2 rman docs: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb.htm (Using DUPLICATE DATABASE to Resynchronize a Duplicate Database)

"You may want to synchronize a duplicate database with the original database that was duplicated. The solution is to run the DUPLICATE DATABASE command again, essentially re-creating the duplicate database.This technique requires making complete copies of the datafiles of the duplicate database."

While I've experienced similar behavior on 11.2, I have not run across comparable docs to corroborate.

On 06/12/2013 12:38 PM, Patterson, Joel wrote:

Hmmm. Well we are just talking logic with respect to licensing, not practicality. In this scenario the 'full' database replacement' I am arguing would be trivial since the data files would be up to date and rman would recognize that and apply the archive logs.

I did not test that however once the database was opened. I know it would in the case of failure during duplication and before opening, if you just start over.

Joel Patterson

Database Administrator

904 928-2790

--

Joel Patterson

Sr. Database Administrator | Enterprise Integration

Phone: 904-928-2790 | Fax: 904-733-4916

http://www.entint.com/

http://www.entint.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-Integration/212351215444231 http://twitter.com/#!/entint http://www.linkedin.com/company/18276?trk=tyah http://www.youtube.com/user/ValueofIT

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use

of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential,

subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the

copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this

message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in

error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and

deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be

monitored. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the

author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. [v.1.1]