Re: Standy database on standard edition

From: Ryan January <rjjanuary_at_multiservice.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:31:12 -0500

You could duplicate to the standby, however this will be a full database replacement rather than a refresh. As long as the database is quite small, and you limit how frequently this is completed it may be the simplest option.

If you were wanting to use RMAN, another viable option would be refreshing the standby with an incremental daily backup. In this situation you would know at what SCN your standby is at, perform an RMAN incremental backup of the primary from that scn, and apply that to the standby instance.

On 06/12/2013 12:06 PM, Patterson, Joel wrote:
> To push logic a little more. Could you not just RMAN 'duplicate the primary, and then shutdown, mount and repeat on a schedule. You could even intervene an open read only legally. Rman should pick up where it left off, recognizing that the datafile have been recovered rather quickly, unless I'm mistaken there, and move right to the archive logs. You could call it the automated duplicating application. Essentially doing the same thing as a manual 'standby' without standby parameters or commands.
>
> I suppose the analogy is akin to the one Steven Hawkins used to describe the idea that he loved to argue about things that had no answer. Of course we know there is an answer, we will just not 'commit' to the one we think it is.
>

> Joel Patterson
> Database Administrator
> 904 928-2790

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and delete the email.